Today I'm sharing another version of a fabric journal created using Eileen's new Frame Pocket Journal Die.
I cut out all of the pieces from a recycled canvas tote bag that was no longer in use. It's a real heavy weight but the Sizzix Bigz Dies chomp their way through with ease!
I stitched (by machine) the covers and flap together. I ran several lines of stitches down the spine to reinforce it. Sadly in my techinical disaster of last week that photo got lost :/
For the lining, I used the outside cover as a template and cut around the gorgeous Cather Holden Fabric. I love this design and it's perfect for a journal cover.
I decided where I wanted the inner pockets to be. One created from the actual pocket and the other from the inner part of the frame pocket to create a smaller version. These were stitched onto the lining fabric by machine.
Next came the fun part, deciding what to use to decorate the outer cover of the journal. I found a wide piece of lace that was the perfect width for the cover and made a fabulous base layer. Then I had fun auditioning elements cut out from Cathe Holden fabric along with more pieces of lace.
Once I was happy with my design, I pinned everything down, quickly before it moved!
Then I had to descide which colour threads I wanted to add, so again auditions were held.
The winners were chosen, and the hand stitching began.
Boy I did a lot of French Knots!
To finish off I sandwiched a piece of Sari Silk Ribbon folded in half between the inner and outer fabrics to create a tie. Then I stitched the two covers together by machine. All of my messy stitching was then hidden on the inside.
I love how a little pop of colour from the stitches brings everything together.
So there you have my Stitched NoseGay Journal all ready for an insert.
GAH! I love this!!!!! so gorgeous Elizabeth. It makes me happy. =) I want to go sew something now.
Post a Comment